Monday 5 September 2011

It's Monday! What are you reading?


Much thanks to Book Journey for hosting this weekly meme, which provides the opportunity to plan out a tentative reading schedule for the upcoming week and to visit other book bloggers to see what they have lined up as well. 

This last week has been somewhat unproductive on the reading front because of work and other obligations. Nonetheless, I managed to finish Graham Greene's Brighton Rock and The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupĂ©ry, bringing my grand total to 50 books read this summer. I am incredibly behind on my reviews and have been rather discouraged in my inadequate ability to offer any sort of insightful literary criticism. I don't intend on being the next Cleanth Brooks and nor am I trying to please anybody -- indeed,  it is just difficult to shake the feeling of dissatisfaction with my writing. On a certain level, I do feel slightly burnt out from my intense reading experience this summer and also seem to have temporarily lost the ability to write anything of substantial value. Thus, this week I am going to take a slight breather to relax my mind a little but so that I can get over this writing dry spell. Instead of overburdening myself by reading multiple books at once, I will just focus on one book this week:


Incredibly dense and not nearly as inviting as To the Lighthouse or Mrs. Dalloway but Woolf's prose is still mesmerizing and keeping me interested to continue reading. 

What is everyone else planning to read this week?




7 comments:

  1. Well, first, I love your blog and I am a new follower. I'll be anxious to read a review when you've cleared your mind a little.

    Second, I'm reading 3 right now and my mind is on overload now too: 1. Pride and Prejudice (for lit class) 2. Shame the Devil (for a book tour) and 3. The Borrowers (just because I want to and it's really, really good).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words Book Belle. I'm just going through a rough patch but it will pass soon enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading the books I thought I'd read last week but I ended up reading three others instead. I really am not good at planning what I read. I just grab on a whim. I started Inkheart but I am not interested in finishing it so I am returning it to the library unread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get your review mojo back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean; reviewing does go like that sometimes. You'll get back in the groove soon, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read both Mrs. Dalloway and To the Lighthouse, but not The Waves. I will have to check back and see how you liked it!

    My Monday: http://literarylindsey.blogspot.com/2011/09/its-monday-its-labor-day-what-are-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I often feel very similar when I have read a lot of books and am really far behind on reviews. For me, it becomes really hard to put the effort into writing a really good review when I really just want to get through them all.

    Love your blog by the way, just found it and will definitely be following from now on. You've got great taste in books

    ReplyDelete